Your story as to why you decided to become a physician is likely different from that of your colleagues’. However, the path that decision set you on—pre-med undergrad, medical school, residency and, for some, fellowship—is probably closely aligned.
Although there were many choices along the way within your control, there were likely some that were not. Maybe you were accepted to the medical school of your choice, maybe not. Maybe you matched at one of the residency or fellowship programs you visited, maybe not. But you stayed focused on your goal, and now you’re ready to embark on the next path: your career as a practicing physician.
It might be that for the first time since your initial career determination, this next decision is more completely yours. Or it could be that you have been in practice for a while and you are ready for a change. Perhaps you don’t think you have satisfied your reason for your initial decision to become a physician. Either way, you return to your why. Why did you initiate your journey to become a physician? Why were you able to succeed? Remembering your why will help you support your next decision: where to practice.
If you are a fellow or a newly graduated physician, you are now a “hot commodity”— evidenced by the not-so-subtle surge in emails, texts and inbox messages from a variety of recruiters and organizations. Suddenly, you feel like the most popular kid in class! …And then, it suddenly feels overwhelming. In the midst of the enthusiasm and emotion of it all, you might fail to match your why to the next level of your journey.
Who is going to help you leverage your decision? Who will help you set into motion your next step in the fulfillment of your professional and personal why? The answer? An in-house physician recruiter.
What is an in-house recruiter, and how can they help you decide your next move?
- Work directly for the health care organization for which they’re recruiting, so they know what it is really like to work at the company.
- Live in the communities where the physicians they’ve hired serve. They are seeking to make a great match for you, your family, the practice and the community.
- Are able to connect you to the community in a way that meets your unique needs. They can help connect you, your significant other and your children to the community through academics, sports, hobbies and more.
- Oversee the entire recruitment cycle, from first contact to onboarding and relocation. They focus on providing a level of service and excellence consistent with what you will experience while working at their organization.
- Are committed to discovering how their opportunity can help you meet your personal and professional goals, as well as your lifestyle needs.
- Identify if their organization is the right match for your lifestyle, professional goals and expertise.
- Connect with you to find the right match for culture, vision and values.
- Seek to identify your professional goals, and identify how their opportunity can support you.
In-house physician recruiters are dedicated to doing what is best for both you and their organization. They are dedicated to getting to know you and your needs. They want to give you the best start in the next steps of your journey.
Send an email or pick up the phone…in-house recruiters are waiting to meet you!
MINK MidWestMD is an association of in-house physician recruitment and retention specialists from Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas. Search their physician and advanced practice provider job opportunities here.